Mariners come up empty in Gold Glove voting
Thanks largely to 10-year runs by Ken Griffey Jr. and then Ichiro Suzuki, the Mariners reeled off 24 straight seasons with a Rawlings Gold Glove Award winner from 1987-2010. But now for a third straight year, Seattle will be without a Gold Glover. And this time, the Mariners didn’t even get a finalist for one of the defensive honors.
Rawlings announced its top three finalists at each position for the 2013 Gold Gloves in the American and National Leagues on Friday and the Mariners were one of five teams in the AL and four in the NL that didn’t get any players selected.
The AL West as a whole was pretty defenseless this year, apparently, as only three of 27 AL players selected came from that division, compared to eight from the Central and 16 from the East.
Before anyone starts screaming East Coast bias, however, among the NL finalists, 11 were from the West, 10 from the Central and six from the East.
This year’s voting did have a new twist. The awards previously have been based solely on voting by managers and coaches from all 30 clubs, but this year Rawlings added in a sabermetric component, with about 25 percent of the decision relying on several different defensive metrics favored by the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR).
Besides Seattle, teams with no Gold Glove finalists were the Angels, Astros, White Sox and Indians in the AL and Giants, Padres, Phillies and Marlins in the NL.
Here’s a complete list of the finalists, and you can read more on this story on MLB.com. The winners will be revealed on Tuesday at 4 p.m. PT on ESPN2.
· P: Buehrle (TOR), Dickey (TOR), Fister (DET)
· 1B: Davis (BAL), Hosmer (KC), Loney (TB)
· 2B: Cano (NYY), Pedroia (BOS), Zobrist (TB)
· 3B: Beltre (TEX), Longoria (TB), Machado (BAL)
· SS: A Escobar (KC), Y Escobar (TB), Hardy (BAL)
· C: Mauer (MIN), Perez (KC), Wieters (BAL)
· LF: Cespedes (OAK), Dirks (DET), Gordon (KC)
· CF: Cain (KC), Esllbury (BOS), Jones (BAL)
· RF: Markakis (BAL), Reddick (OAK), Victorino (BOS)
· P: Corbin (ARZ), Greinke (LAD), Wainwright (STL)
· 1B: Goldschmidt (ARZ), Gonzalez (LAD), Rizzo (CHC)
· 2B: Barney (CHC), Ellis (LAD), Phillips (CIN)
· 3B: Arenado (COL), Uribe (LAD), Wright (NYM)
· SS: Desmond (WAS), Tulowitski (COL), Simmons (ATL)
· C: Ellis (LAD), Martin (PIT), Molina (STL)
· LF: Gonzalez (COL), Marte (PIT), Young (NYM)
· CF: Gomez (MIL), McCutchen (PIT), Span (WAS)
· RF: Bruce (CIN), Heyward (ATL), Parra (ARZ)