Results tagged ‘ Daren Brown ’
Daren Brown, who served as the Mariners interim manager after Don Wakamatsu’s dismissal last season, will indeed be back in Tacoma as the Rainiers manager next season, the club made official on Monday.
Brown has been in the organization for 11 years now and will start his fifth season as Tacoma’s skipper.
And he’ll have a familiar face as hitting coach, with Alonzo Powell resuming those duties after himself earning a midseason promotion to the Mariners last year following Alan Cockrell’s firing.
The Mariners went 19-31 with Brown at the helm in the season’s final two months.
Roger Hansen, who worked as Brown’s bench coach for those 50 games, has returned to a role as the roving catcher instructor in the Mariners minor-league system.
Carl Willis, the pitching coach for Brown, has already been retained in that same position by new Mariners manager Eric Wedge. Willis and Wedge previously worked together in Cleveland.
Much of last year’s Mariners staff is back in the game somewhere:
- Wakamatsu has hired on as bench coach of the Toronto Blue Jays, where he’ll work with new skipper John Farrell.
- Former pitching coach Rick Adair is the new bullpen coach in Baltimore.
- Mike Brumley, who started last season as the Mariners’ third-base coach before being moved to first base in mid-campaign, is the one member of Wakamatsu’s original 2009 crew that has been retained by Wedge. He’ll be the first-base coach for the Mariners next season.
- Ty Van Burkleo, Wakamatsu’s bench coach, interviewed last week for the Texas Rangers hitting coach position that opened when Clint Hurdle was hired as the new Pirates manager. But the Rangers wound up hiring Thad Bosley instead.
- No word on job possibilities at this point for Cockrell, former third base coach Lee Tinsley or bullpen coach John Wetteland.